Habanero Hot Sauce Recipe
Sometimes life can be a little dull with the same old routine guiding our everyday lives.
Fortunately, hot peppers can add some spice to your life. Spicy foods and spices have been shown to improve metabolism and overall health and this habanero hot sauce recipe is no exception.
While it is easy to purchase hot sauce at grocery store, it is be more fun and rewarding to make a homemade habanero hot sauce recipe. A great habanero hot sauce recipe is a great way to give your life a kick and your food a bite. Habanero peppers can be found at the grocery store, or you can even grow them in your backyard.
Remember to always wear gloves when cooking with hot peppers like the ones in this habanero hot sauce recipe. This habanero hot sauce recipe found on Suite101 will improve meals, health, and your life with each spoonful.
The Best Spicy Habanero Hot Sauce Recipe
This recipe was created due to an abundance of habaneros and the overall disappointment of everyday hot sauces.
Many people are addicted to spicy foods. Breakfast, lunch and dinner; whatever the occasion, sometimes it’s good to have that element of heat to make you sweat a little. Something about the capsaicin running through the blood works a kind of magic, making you feel a little more alive, alert and ailment-free.Maybe people are drawn to spicy foods because their bodies need it. Studies have shown that spicy foods can be beneficial for one’s health. Capsaicin, the chemical found in peppers that makes them spicy, is useful in dealing with a number of health concerns and ailments, including fighting and preventing pancreatic cancer, alleviating inflammation caused by arthritis and psoriasis, and helping to reduce cholesterol.
With that in mind, here is a fantastic spicy habanero hot sauce recipe for all you capsaicin addicts out there. After deep analysis of the ingredients written on many different hot sauce bottles, much inner contemplation, group discussions, polling and one-on-one interviews, this original concoction was conceived. It has been heard around campfires and kitchen tables worldwide that this may in fact be the best spicy habanero hot sauce recipe out there!
So you for in a treat, because rather than bottle it up and make millions, the chef who dares to handle these infernal peppers is going to share this amazing spicy habanero hot sauce recipe with you, the readers free of charge. Here goes:
- Habaneros: about 20 (usually found in your local grocery store)
- Garlic: 3-5 cloves (depending on size)
- Distilled White Vinegar: ½ cup (any old kind will do)
- Water: ½ cup
- Lemon Juice: ¼ cup
- Salt: 1 teaspoon
- Smoked Paprika: 1 teaspoon (Badia brand Smoked Paprika is excellent – its smoky flavor compliments the habaneros very well)
- Chili Powder: ½ teaspoon
- Sugar: 1 teaspoon (Sugar in the Raw is good for its rustic flavor)
Before going further, know that these measurements are all approximations, and feel free to adjust to taste. It’s most important to keep equal amounts of water and vinegar, and you can add more or less of each depending on how thin or thick you like your hot sauce.
- Gut the habaneros, meaning slice of the top, cut them in half and remove the inside and the seeds. This will help eliminate some of the heat and to make the hot sauce tolerable. The seeds are the hottest part of the habanero, and by removing them you will get to enjoy the habanero’s flavor and not just its heat.
- Skin the garlic and cut the cloves into quarters.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Oil a sheet pan for your habaneros and garlic, and let them roast until golden brown on top (about 20 minutes or so). Be sure to keep an eye on them, because you don’t want them to burn. Roasting the habaneros also helps to take out some of their heat, and the roasted garlic adds a great flavor.
- Once you’ve got your habaneros and garlic nicely roasted, throw them in a blender or food processor, and add the rest of your ingredients; liquids and spices. Blend it all up until you get a nice, even consistency. If you find it to be too thick, add more liquids, making sure to keep all parts equal.
- Test the sauce. Go for a small dab on your finger – not too much! A whole spoonful will most likely leave you in tears.
There it is. The best spicy habanero hot sauce recipe ever (it’s been told). Enjoy it on eggs, sandwiches, tacos, burgers, pasta, rice dishes or anything you want to add some heat to. Enjoy!
To bottle up this fiery concoction, it’s a good idea to hoard old condiment bottles and fill them with your spicy habanero hot sauce. Refrigeration is also recommended, since there are no added preservatives.
This habanero hot sauce recipe is sure to transform you into a spice guru at any party or function. Knowing an excellent habanero hot sauce recipe can stay your little secret or be shared with friends and family when they taste the zesty goodness. It’s difficult to find things that are both tasty and healthy for you, but this natural habanero hot sauce recipe is a proof that it can be done! Use this new habanero hot sauce recipe on chicken, soup, vegetables or even bottle it and give it away as a gift.
One important thing to note is that you should always wear gloves when handling hot peppers, and always keep them away from your eyes. Touching a hot pepper (especially its seeds) can cause a terrible burning sensation on your skin and few remedies will relieve the pain aside from time.
If you want to experiment with some more hot sauces and stray away from this habanero hot sauce recipe, come in to Julio’s Liquors where there is a vast assortment of hot sauces to try, and possibly compare with your own.